When you are caring for a sick child, you have several options. If the symptoms are severe you need to take them to the emergency room as soon as possible. If they are sick but you can care for them at home, it’s always a good idea to seek advice from a pediatrician such as those at Medrano Pediatrics Clinic in La Joya and Weslaco TX. Their services include children’s wellness, a newborn doctor, and child immunizations.
What Childhood Illnesses Can You Treat at Home?
Your pediatrician La Joya, recommends that parents can safely treat many childhood illnesses at home, in the following instances:
- If you recognize that your child’s symptoms are mild and not unusual, such as a headache, fever, or stomachache.
- If your child has minor symptoms but is still alert and active.
- If your child has the signs and complaints of a sore throat or cold symptoms.
When it comes to a fever, you can typically treat your child at home with a temperature of up to 101 degrees providing that they are alert and active. Otherwise, if your child is showing signs of lethargy and irritability, you should consult your doctor.
When you Should Call Your Pediatrician La Joya, TX
You should consult your doctor if your child has symptoms that are more serious than those listed above. Before you call, make a list of your child’s symptoms so you can explain everything clearly without forgetting anything important. You should also let your doctor know when your child’s symptoms began and if and when they changed. You should make the call if your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Fever, stomachache, cold, or flu symptoms that worsen over 2-3 days
- A sore throat that worsens over 2-3 days
- Chronic stomach pain
- Pain when urinating
- Severe vomiting and diarrhea
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Jaime Medrano, you can call Medrano Pediatrics Clinic at the Weslaco TX office at (956) 973-5024 and the La Joya TX office at (956) 585-6575.